The Grand Ole Opry paid homage to icon Ray Charles in October 2018 with a special showcase that was hosted by Darius Rucker and featured performances by Darius, Cam, Brett Eldredge, Ronnie Milsap, Lukas Nelson, LeAnn Rimes, Allen Stone, Travis Tritt, Charlie Wilson, Leela James, Trisha Yearwood, Jessie Key, Chris Young and Boyz II Men.
The night’s performances were filmed for a PBS television special, An Opry Salute to Ray Charles, that will premiere on public TV stations nationwide beginning on Sept. 5.
The 90-minute TV special also features behind-the-scenes footage, a visit to the Ray Charles Library and iconic footage courtesy of the Ray Charles Foundation.
“One of the coolest things about that night, being a part of it, is not just getting to sing Ray Charles’ music, but also there was such a broad mix of genres and people and eras that all loved and respected him and his music,” says Chris Young. “Getting to be a part of a night that celebrates the impact that he had, being able to sit there and sing a couple of those songs was a very special night. And I got to sing with Boyz II Men too, so it was pretty incredible.”
- Boyz II Men and Chris Youg: “Your Love So Doggone Good”
- Travis Tritt: “I Am Moving On”
- Brett Eldredge: “That Lucky Old Sun”
- LeAnn Rimes: “Fever”
- Charlie Wilson: “Unchain My Heart”
- Darius Rucker: “Don’t Change On Me”
- Boyz II Men: “Georgia On My Mind”
- Trisha Yearwood: “You Don’t Know Me”
- Ronnie Milsap and Jessie Key: “You Are my Sunshine”
- Leela James and Cam: “Don’t Tell Me Your Troubles”
- Lukas Nelson: “Seven Spanish Angels”
- Chris Young: “I Can’t Stop Loving You”
- Allen Stone and Cam: “Here We Go Again”
- Charlie Wilson and LeAnn Rimes:“Crying Time”
- Everyone: “America the Beautiful”
photo by Frederick Breedon IV/Getty Images