Oh, this is a doozy. Garth Brooks posted a pic on Instagram that depicted him wearing a “Sanders” jersey with the number “20” during his stadium show at Detroit’s Ford Field on Feb. 22.
Let the insanity begin, as the jersey caused a bit of confusion among Garth’s conservative fan base on Instagram.
Garth was paying tribute to Barry Sanders, not Bernie Sanders.
Let me be clear:
- Barry Sanders is an NFL Hall of Fame running back—and Oklahoma State alum—who played for the Detroit Lions from 1989 to 1998. Barry wore the number 20.
- Bernie Sanders is a U.S. Senator—and democratic socialist—who is trying to secure the democratic nomination for President of the United States. Bernie is running in 2020.
Here are some of the comments in Garth’s Instagram feed:
- “If this is for Bernie Sanders, I’m done with you. I thought you were a true American that loves Our Country?”
- “Sorry Garth.. don’t think so. Just stick to music.”
- “Well guess ur no different from other celebrities,,but thought u might be. We dont need to know who u vote for an especially at ur concert.”
- “Lost some respect w that jersey.”
- “Garth, Please don’t make the mistake of getting political!”
- “Good grief. Can’t you just do what you get paid to do ???? Why why why does it have to involve politics !!! 🤢 So sad. We don’t pay good money for anything other than to watch you perform. 😡Thought you were different.”
- “Nothing like supporting a communist to loss a few fans! How about going to a successful socialist country and doing some research? Oh yes, you can’t because there aren’t ANY successful socialist countries!”
- “You just lost thousands of fans in Michigan Just stick to your music.”
- “To each his own….but any “legend” who can support a socialist rather that the undisputed GREATEST POTUS OF ALL TIME @realdonaldtrump can take pride in knowing you’ve lost a fan who has been with you since day one. Perhaps you’ll wake up soon.”
- “What are saying? Your a Communist or a Socialist. Either way your a loser. ❄️ Just threw out your cd
- “So disappointed. Always loved that your brand here to clear a polarizing political statement”
- “I had no idea you were a big freaking liberal socialist! I’ve listened to your songs for the last time!”
Even Garth and Barry are having fun with this.
— Garth Brooks (@garthbrooks) February 28, 2020
photo by Tammie Arroyo, AFF-USA.com