Maddie & Tae released a new holiday EP, We Need Christmas, on Oct. 23.
The six-song project includes two original tunes, “Merry Married Christmas” and the title track, as well as four holiday standards: “This Christmas,” “Holly Jolly Christmas,” “O Come All Ye Faithful,” and “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).”
Astute followers of the duo will notice two new modifications in the album’s liner notes: Maddie Font and Taylor Kerr.
The duo’s Maddie Marlow married Jonah Font in November 2019, while Taylor Dye married Josh Kerr in February 2020. The new EP’s apropos “Merry Married Christmas” and “We Need Christmas” represent the first time Maddie Font and Taylor Kerr have been listed as songwriters.
As Maddie and Tae told host Elaina Smith of Nights With Elaina, the spirited change has created some family fun.
“It was so cool,” says Maddie. “Our producer texted, as he’s like, ‘Do you want Maddie Marlow or Maddie Font?’ I wanted Maddie Font because there’s never been a Font on my husband’s side that’s made an album or anything, so I’m gonna be the first Font. So I just wanted to be cool for the family [laughing].”
“That’s the first project our new last names are on, wow!” adds Tae.
We Need Christmas Track List & Songwriters
- This Christmas (Donny Hathaway, Nadine McKinnor)
- Holly Jolly Christmas (Johnny Marks)
- O Come All Ye Faithful (Traditional)
- Merry Married Christmas (Maddie Font, Taylor Kerr, Josh Kerr)
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, Phil Spector)
- We Need Christmas (Maddie Font, Taylor Kerr, Matthew West, AJ Pruis)
Listen to “Merry Married Christmas” below.
photo by Curtis Hilbun, AFF-USA.com